This is a great meal to serve up to your meat-loving friends. The bbq tofu is filling and makes an excellent meat replacement. Tacos are always fun, you can be super inventive with different types of veggie toppings. In this particular dish, try some guacamole (as seen in the photo), or some salsa and a few fresh veggies to top it off. I typically check what I have in the fridge and build from there. It can be tricky to find Mexican cheeses like Queso Fresco in Montreal, so instead I’ll often use crumbly feta. If you prefer, try melting a little cheddar or Monterey jack onto the tortilla before you add the other ingredients. If you’re vegan, a drizzle of cashew cream over the tacos will give you the nice creamy texture without the cheese. The bbq tofu, which is pretty easy to prepare, can also be used in a sandwich with a little coleslaw and pickles. Yummy!
Ingredients (BBQ Tofu):
- Half a block (250g) of plain tofu, shredded
- 1 onion, chopped
- Handful of cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup bbq sauce (Store bought or homemade, see recipe below)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons oil (for frying)
- 4 corn tortillas
Recommended Toppings :
- 1 tomato, chopped
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- 8 tablespoons Guacamole
- 4 tablespoons of cheese or cashew cream (optional)
- Combine shredded tofu, lime juice, onion, chopped cilantro and bbq sauce into a bowl. Mix the ingredients together until all parts of the tofu is covered in sauce.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Heat the oil over medium heat. Sauté marinated tofu until it gets a little crispy.
- Heat up the corn tortillas over the stovetop.
- Add the toppings of your choice.
Makes 4 tacos, Serves 2.
Sweet chipotle BBQ sauce: This bbq sauce was thrown together with some items from my kitchen. I wanted a sauce that was easy and didn’t require too many fresh ingredients. It turned out nice and sweet with a smoky chipotle after taste. Add some more cayenne pepper, if you like it hot. Keep this sauce in an air tight container like a mason jar and it should last a couple weeks.
- 1 1/2 cups of ketchup
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 6 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp ground chipotle pepper
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp ground coriander
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 tbsp cayenne pepper
- Whisk together all ingredients in a medium saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to simmer.
- Cook uncovered, stirring frequently for 45 – 60 minutes.
The final sauce should be about as thick a ketchup.
Makes 2 cups.