I’m not even sure if you can call this a recipe because it is the simplest thing to prepare EVER! Swiss Chard, sautéed onions and melted cheese on toast. Great for breakfast, for a quick lunch or as a side with soup. Swap out the cheese for vegan cheese from daya or field roast and it’s vegan. I love these green leafy veggies for both taste and nutritional value.
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced.
- 1 bundle of shredded Swiss chard, stems removed ( roughly 2-3 loosely packed cups).
- 1/2 cup of shredded cheadar cheese
- 3 slices of multigrain bread
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil (grape seed or olive) in a frying pan.
- Saute onions until light brown.
- Add shredded swiss chard.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Saute mixture until leaves shrink and become slightly tender (Don’t over cook! allow them to keep their green color.)
6. Divide the swiss chard & onions onto three separate pieces of toast and top with cheese.
7. Place in the toaster over or oven at 350 degrees for about 5 to 7 minutes. ( Watch carefully to make sure it doesn’t burn!!)
If you’ve never cooked with Swiss chard before, check out Dani Spie’s ingredient 101 video for preparation tips.