Before I gave up meat, I was mildly obsessed with club sandwiches. All the flavours stacked between those layers of bread. MmmMmm. Veganizing a club sandwich is a piece of cake with all store-bought meat products now available. But if you want to get similar club sandwich flavours without leaning heavily on packaged or processed foods, this recipe is for you!
The bacon for this club is from my eggplant bacon recipe. And the chicken is replaced with smoke tofu which gives you that smoky and specific rotisserie chicken taste.
If you can’t find smoked tofu at your grocery store, swap for regular tofu flavoured with some salt and liquid smoke.
It’s all about the gravy!
Ever eat gravy with your club? Is this a Montreal thing? Back in the day, I ordered a cup of gravy with my club sandwich. I’d dip into that hot brown saucy goodness to add an extra punch with every bite. If you’re into it, prepare yourself a nice cup of gravy with this sandwich. Make a batch of fries, too, and you’ll have my authentic childhood club experience.
Epic Vegan Club Sandwich
- vegan mayo
- 1 package smoked tofu (180g) sub firm tofu with 1/2 tsp of liquid smoke
- 8 slices eggplant bacon
- 1 tomato thinly sliced
- 2 handfuls greens (iceberg, romaine or watercress)
- 1 avocado halved and thinly sliced
- 6 slices brown bread
- drizzle neutral oil for cooking
- Prepare a batch of eggplant bacon.
- Sliced smoked tofu into 1/4 inch slices and toast your slices of bread.
- Drizzle a little oil onto a medium non-stick pan over medium heat. Add tofu and fry until lightly browned on both sides. Note: If you're using regular tofu, add 1/2 tsp of liquid smoke diluted in 2 tbsp of water and a pinch of salt.
- Add a generous amount of vegan mayo on one side of your toasted bread, add two or three tomato slices, salt, pepper, greens and eggplant bacon. Add mayo to both sides of the second slice of toast, followed by smoked tofu and avocado. Finish with the final piece of toast with mayo on one side.
- Cut the sandwich twice diagonally. Add toothpicks if you wish to lay the sandwich down the its side like the classic club.