This recipe is one of those happy accidents. I was following a simple turmeric stew recipe and decided that it lacked some serious flavour. I went digging in my fridge and pulled out a jar of sun dried tomatoes and roasted red peppers. I knew those two ingredients would be flavour powerhouses that could bolster any plain ol’ recipe. I also decided to drop in a can of coconut milk because what is better than a lil’ fat? The combination of coconut, turmeric, sun dried tomatoes and roasted peppers created a fusion of flavours that excited me. I jotted it all down, and here we are. If I had to explain the flavour profile, I’d say Lebanese meets Thai.
This is an excellent recipe for a busy week. It keeps perfectly in the fridge and is quick to prepare. It does require a food processor to grind down the sun-dried tomatoes and roasted red peppers. You can try blending them with a little water if you don’t have a processor. The results will be different, but it should work okay. Just don’t over blend! If you don’t have a blender nor a processor, then chop ’em up extra fine. Other than the processing step, there is nothing complicated about this recipe.
My one-year-old love this dish. Kid-approved! Squash the chickpeas a little if they are on the younger side.
Golden Chickpea Coconut Stew (Vegan/Gluten-Free)
- 7 sundried tomatoes dry or in oil
- 2 roasted red peppers *I used the canned/jarred kind
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cups vegetable broth
- 2 handfuls spinach washed and chopped
- Add sundried tomatoes and roasted red pepper to a food processor. Pulse until it transforms into a paste. Set aside.
- Warm oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add onions and sautee until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add garlic, sundried tomato and roasted red pepper puree and mix until well incorporated.
- Add turmeric and chickpeas, mix until well incorporated.
- Stir in coconut milk and vegetable broth, cover and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add spinach and keep stirring until spinach shrinks.