An easy tempeh bacon recipe without liquid smoke. It’s great for sandwiches or as a side for pancakes or veggie scrambles. You can also turn this recipe into bacon bits and add it to my vegan mac and cheese recipe or a Caesar salad.
Homemade tempeh bacon is an excellent alternative to both real bacon and store-bought vegan bacon which are both full of salt and unhealthy fat. Tempeh is a nutrient-dense fermented soy product with a high amount of protein, vitamins and minerals. Eating tempeh may decrease cholesterol levels and improve digestive health due to its probiotic qualities. Read more about its benefits on heathline.com.
Easy to prepare
This recipe is so straightforward, only requiring six ingredients and less than 10 minutes. You’ll just need a small prep bowl and a frying pan.
Maple-Molasses Caramelized Tempeh Bacon (Vegan, GF)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/8 cup molasses
- 1/8 cup Tamari Soy sauce also works
- 1/8 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 240g package of tempeh cut into quarter inch strips
- In a small bowl, make maple-molasses sauce: Stir water, molasses, Tamari, maple syrup and garlic powder.
- Add cooking oil to a large frying pan over medium heat. Add tempeh and cook on one side until browned, then flip and cook the other side.
- Once all the tempeh strips are browned on both sides, add the maple-molasses sauce. It will bubble up a lot. Let the sauce cook down for just under a minute and then flip the tempeh strips to get sauce on both sides. Note: Watch the tempeh carefully at this point as the molasses can easily burn.
- Once the maple-molasses sauce coats both sides of the tempeh and starts to harden, remove from heat and serve.