This is the most requested recipe from my friends and it happens to be so simple. Everyone knows that I love Mexican food! I love to eat salsa with chips but mostly I use it to dress my various taco or enchilada recipes. For a long time I was intimidated by salsa verde because I never saw tomatillos at the grocery store and had no clue how to prepare them. Then I stumbled upon canned tomatillos which changed everything. Although the tomatillos are canned, the salsa is still more fresh and flavourful than anything from a pre-made jar. All you need is ample amounts of garlic, lime and a food processor.
If you like it mild: reduce the garlic, onion and peppers by about a third.
If you like it hot: Add another half or full pepper. Keep in mind the heat of the peppers can change depending on the batch so start with less and add more as you go. Store in a jar for freshness, lasts up to two weeks.
Quick and easy salsa verde
- 1 can of tomatillos 12oz/340g
- 2-3 cloves of fresh garlic minced
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup of fresh cilantro chopped Freshly squeezed just of
- 1 lime
- 1/3 cup sunflower oil
- salt to taste
- Add all ingredients into the food processor and slowly pulse until smooth. Don't over process: you don't want it to come out too watery.