This ultra-simple healthy recipe is not only easy to prepare but absolutely delicious. Topped with okra and cooked in red wine, this recipe has a robust flavour profile. Think tangy tomato, sweet squash, cumin, and sautéed okra competing for your attention. Only about 40 minutes to prepare and bake. Try this at home!
This recipe is not just pretty, it’s pretty healthy. With the high protein content in lentils, it’s perfect for vegans or just about anyone who wants a low fat, high fibre and nutritious meal.
You can serve this recipe with the vegan parmesan recipe which I’ve also included below. If you aren’t vegan and don’t want to bother with the extra step, you can use normal cheese as well. I love vegan parmesan because it’s quick to prepare and keeps in the refrigerator for weeks.
Try it and let me know what you think.
Simple Stuffed Squash with Lentils, Spiced Okra & Vegan Parmesan (Vegan/GF)
- 2 sweet dumping squash
- 1 can 15 oz. brown lentils rinsed and drained
- 1/2 can 5.5 fl. oz tomato paste
- 1/3 red onion finely chopped
- 1 cup okra sliced about 3mm thick
- 1/2 tsp cumin ground
- 1/2 tsp oregano dried or fresh
- 1/4 tsp tumeric ground
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil + have a little extra oil for greasing the baking sheet
- handful fresh parsley or fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup raw almonds blanched
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 375°F with a rack in the middle position.
- Slice the squashes in half from stem to root and scoop out the seeds and fibres.
- Place the squash halves cut-side-down on a lightly greased baking dish or cast iron pan. Roast for 30 - 40 minutes or until soft and tender when poked with a fork. Be sure to check occasionally.
- While squash is roasting prepare filling: In a large non-stick frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat. Add cumin and turmeric, toast until fragrant, roughly 1.5 minutes.
- Add onion, sauté until tender about 2 minutes.
- Add okra and sauté for another 5 minutes, set aside.
- In the same frying pan over medium heat, add lentils, tomato paste, red wine, oregano, salt and cook for about 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently until all liquid is absorbed then remove from heat.
- Remove roasted squash from the oven and flip onto a plate with the cut-side-up. Divided in 4 equal portions for each half of squash, ladle in lentils and top with spiced okras.
- Top with fresh parsley or cilantro.
Vegan parmesan (optional):
- Add all ingredients (cashews, almonds, nutritional yeast, garlic powder and salt) in a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth. Sprinkle onto squash halves as desired.