I’ve been a vegetarian for half of my life so I’m accustomed to no longer eating the foods that I loved as a kid. Still, I must admit, that every once and a while I get a specific craving for the staple dishes that I grew up on. My parents always cooked steak, served with potatoes, waxed beans or boiled carrots. When I was a little girl, I was probably the pickiest eater of all time – steak & potatoes were my go to. Nothing brings me back to being a little kid more, and that is why I’ve chosen to “veganify” this plate.
I’ve played with different gravies and marinades but this combination is my favourite. The marinade recreates Montreal’s steak spice which is infused into the tofu, fun stuff! This recipes requires different steps, so you can make it as a complete dish or take away the components that you like the best.
- Half block – 250 grams tofu
- 1/2 tbsp granulated onion
- 1/2 tbsp granulated garlic
- 1 tbsp peppercorns ( mixed or black)
- 1/2 tbsp chili flakes (optional)
- 1/3 cup tamari (reduced salt) **
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups chopped potatoes
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup dried mushrooms (porcini or porcini & yellow boletes mix)
- 1/2 cup button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/2 white onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups mushroom broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 leftover tofu marinade
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup of button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup of onions, sliced
- Fresh green beans (about 400g), steamed
- 1/4 cup almonds, sliced
STEP 1 – Tofu Steaks
Recipe note: I use Tamari for this recipe but soy sauce may also be used. I highly recommend that you buy the reduced salt Tamari or Soy Sauce because too much salt can ruin the marinade. If you are curious about the difference Tamari and Soy sauce, read about it here.
- Cut half a block of tofu into triangular steaks, about half an inch thick.
- Whisk granulated onion, granulated garlic, peppercorns, chili flakes, tamari and water together in a large container.
- Place tofu steaks into the container and refrigerate for about 1 hour. ** While the steaks marinade, you can begin to prepare the gravy & potatoes**
- Remove steaks and place onto a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- Brush the steaks with a little more marinade for extra flavour.
- Broil the tofu steaks in the oven, about 5 minutes on each side. Watch them carefully as you broil, keep in mind that different ovens have different strengths.
Step 2 – Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- Add potatoes to a large pot of simmering salted water and cook until potatoes are tender, 15 minutes or so.
- Drain potatoes and return potatoes to hot pot over low heat. Add olive oil, almond milk, and mash thoroughly.
- Season mashed potatoes with salt and pepper and garnish with chopped scallions before serving.
Step 3 – Mushroom gravy
You can make this gravy for just about any meal, I also use this gravy recipe for my holiday tofurkey.
- Place dried porcinis in a small heatproof bowl. Bring water to a boil and pour over. Let sit until softened, about 12 minutes.
- Once tender remove the porcinis, finely chop and set aside.
- Slowly pour 3/4 cup of the soaking liquid into a measuring cup, leaving the sediment behind; set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add onions, and saute until translucent.
- Add another tablespoon of oil, add fresh white mushrooms, porcinis, bay leaf, and continue to cook until mushrooms have released their liquid and softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add mushroom broth, porcini mushroom water, and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add 1/3 cup of your leftover tofu steak marinade* If you find it to be too salty, add 1/2 water instead.
- Reduce heat to medium, add nutrition yeast and slowly whisk flour into the pan, a little at a time until it thickens.
*If you did not make the tofu steak marinade then you can use tamari instead.
4. ACCOMPANIMENTS & FINAL TOUCHES:
The last touch is to make some green beans as a side, as well as sautéed onions and mushrooms to top the steaks.
- Steam green beans for about 5 mins.
- In a separate frying pan, heat 1 tbsp of oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, sauté until browned, about 4 minutes.
- Add additional sliced button mushrooms, sauté for 3 mins, stirring frequently.
- Re-warm tofu steaks & mashed potatoes, if needed.
- Place 3 – 5 steaks per plate, top with sauté onions and mushrooms.
- Add a generous scoop of mashed potatoes per plate, top with sliced scallions (optional).
- Drain green beans, add a handful to each plate.
- Drizzle green beans with olive oil and sliced almonds (optional).
- Serve hot mushroom gravy on the side or poured over your tofu steak & potatoes.
BON APPETIT from MTL VEG